Jill E. McInerney
Jill brings to Sefton Family Law group her fifteen years’ experience representing parents and children in child welfare proceedings as well as extensive court room experience focused on parents and children. She routinely litigated child custody and visitation matters involving sexual abuse, substance abuse, mental health disabilities, and domestic violence. Equipped to handle a vast array of family configurations, conflicts, and challenges, Jill is expert at advising clients on parenting and visitation arrangements so that each child’s unique need and developmental stage is honored. She engages in child-centered attempts to reduce family conflict, but is equally at ease when in trial when necessary.
In addition to her advocacy work, Jill builds consensus and has developed strong leadership skills. A leader in local and statewide efforts to strengthen legislative and social support systems to protect child welfare and preserve family integrity, in San Francisco, she served the judges of the Unified Family Court in management issues surrounding juvenile dependency policies and procedures for over nine years. In 2013, she founded San Francisco Counsel for Families & Children, through which she spearheaded statewide action to strengthen and clarify parentage rights. She has addressed the state legislature and the Judicial Council of California to advocate for increased funding for court-appointed dependency attorneys so that our state’s most vulnerable children and families receive appropriate legal representation.
- B.A. English and Social Thought & Political Economy, University of Massachusetts at Amherst, cum laude
- J.D., University of California, Hastings College of Law
- Certified Child Welfare Law Specialist, certified by the National Association of Counsel for Children Accredited by the State Bar of California, Board of Legal Specialization.
- Outstanding Public Service Honor (2016) Awarded by the Bar Association of San Francisco’s (“BASF”) Lawyer Referral and Information Service Committee (“LRIS Committee”)
- Founder and Executive Director (2013-2015) San Francisco Counsel for Families & Children
- BASF Delegate (2014) Conference of California Bar Associations
- Member (2012-present) LRIS Committee of BASF
- Member (2006-2015) San Francisco Juvenile Dependency Court Blue Ribbon Committee
- Member (2006-2015) San Francisco Parent & Child Attorney Management Committee
- Chair (2007-2008; 2010-2011) Juvenile Justice Section, Bar Association of San Francisco
- Co-Chair (2007-2008) San Francisco Human Services Agency Visitation Workgroup
- Daily Journal contributor